Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2016

The Summer No-Buy

Have you ever tried to go on a 'no-buy'?  Do you even know what a 'no-buy' is?  Well let me enlighten you...



A 'no-buy' is a term that I first learned about in the beauty community on YouTube and it refers to a plan to stop buying things for a certain period of time... most people choose a month, some do it for as long as a year.  Either way, it is making a commitment to STOP BUYING ALL THE THINGS!

I have tried no-buy's so many times that I can't even begin to count them and all have failed miserably.  So I would then move to a low-buy, basically but SOME of the things and not ALL of the things.... total cop-out!  In any event, I generally find myself holding out for about a minute and then going hog wild to make up for the spending time lost.

This summer I have vowed to go on a complete no-buy... utter and complete STOP in buying anything I absolutely DO NOT need.  This should allow for me to actually use some of the items that are sitting in drawers or on shelves that I have forgotten about or pushed to the side in favour of newer, shinier items.  So, what is my plan to make this one a successful no-buy?


  1. Declutter:  Yes, I know that sounds weird because getting rid of things would generally free up space to buy more but, for me, the collections of makeup, nail polish, bath products, body care, candles, is so overwhelming that I don't even see them anymore.  I look beyond my actual collection because just looking for a specific item is too challenging so I just buy new.  So, starting with my nail polish, I am getting rid of all the colours I don't plan to wear or have worn and don't enjoy... colours that I have multiples of.
  2. Wish-Lists:  Again, this may seem odd but I am utilizing the wish-list feature on websites like Sephora and Nail Polish Canada where I buy the majority of my things.  By adding items that I am lusting after to a wish-list, I can be assured that I won't forget about it.  Unless it's limited edition, the product will be available when I am ready to buy again.  It will also take away that need to have it IMMEDIATELY... and who knows, when I actually look to buy it, I may not even want it anymore.
  3. Unfollow/Unsubscribe from Emails: Honestly, one of the most tempting things for me is seeing sales and new item notifications so I have been actively unsubscribing to all of the emails that I get.  Whether is be stores, companies or bloggers, I no longer want to be tempted by pictures and reviews in my email account so I'm eliminating it as it happens.  Once you decide to do this, you will be amazed how many you get each and every day... WOW.  Also, if there are companies that tempt you on other social media platforms, consider unfollowing.  I haven't done that yet but have been using the 'Wish-List' plan to conquer the desire to buy when I see something new.
  4. Going Cruelty Free: After watching some videos from my good friend Mary (aLoveTart) and videos from Christine (Christine Kobzeff), I did some online research and was horrified to see what cosmetic companies are STILL doing to animals.  The majority of these companies don't need to test on animals but in order to sell in China, the law requires it so, in my opinion, companies who decide to test just for the profit made in China, aren't worthy of my money.  How does this help with a no-buy?  Well, it decreased the number of companies that I can buy from which eliminates the temptation.  It also makes me research things more before buying it and allows me some more time to think about a purchase before making it.
I am hoping that by having a laid out plan for my no-buy that it will actually be successful.  As I type this, it has been almost two weeks and I haven't even been tempted to break it.  There isn't a defined end date yet but a group of us are heading to IMATS on October 1st in Toronto so that seems like a group guideline for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment