Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Declutter Series | Candles

Time to start the next area of my declutter and no, it's not makeup because I am not ready for that... yes, I will get there but right now, I want to tackle the closet in my makeup room and to do that, I am starting with the insane hoard for Bath & Body Works candles that I have.

The problem that I have with the BBW candles are that they smell amazing but I only burn them in the fall and sometimes the winter.  This year I have burned them a little in the spring, if the weather is nice and cool (fall-esque) but I don't burn all year long.  Also, I am super sensitive to certain scents and order most of my candles online so there are candles that I have lite once and gotten an instant headache.  Instead of passing it along, or returning it, I just stash it back in the closet to never use again.  Total FAIL!



Currently, I have candles in my collection.  I hate to even say collection because THEY ARE CANDLES!  My goal isn't to just get rid of them because I would like to use the ones that I know I enjoy and even try the ones that I haven't ever used.  My plan is to figure out which candles I know I will never use and set those aside for the community yard sale this weekend.  Bath & Body Works candles are insanely expensive ($24 USD each, although I always buy when they are buy one get one free) so I know that they will get snapped up quickly.

The Plan:
  1. Organize by Size and then Scent - I have multiple sizes of candles, from the mini's to the 3-wicks and really only like the 3-wicks so can just declutter any of the smaller ones.  As for scent, I love anything bakery, food scented so will likely keep anything in that range but cannot stand the more floral, summery scents.  For some reason they give me an instant headache and that's just not worth dealing with, even if the smell is amazing.
  2. Set Aside Untried Scents - After combing through and removing any scents I know trigger headaches, I want to set aside the remaining candle scents that I have never tried so I can test each one and see if they are a trigger.  If they aren't, I will keep them but if they are, they can be added to the discard pile.
The plan here is pretty basic, if I like it and don't get a headache from it, it will stay... as long as it's a 3-wick.  Otherwise, it's out!

Once I have burned through the remaining candles in my collection, I will have to take a better look at Bath & Body Works cruelty free policy as some have said that they are not a CF company.  Bath & Body Works is owned by L'Oreal, who does test on animals, but I am not basing my decisions on the parent company, only the actual company I am purchasing from.  In this blog post (more so the comments section) you can see that as of late May 2016, BBW still was not selling in China and are currently listed on PETA's website as cruelty free.  However, they are not listed on the Cruelty Free Kitty website which is the holy grail of websites for CF information.  Let's get to the end of the stash and then see what the opinion is and maybe look at other companies for different options.

UPDATE:

Forgot to take a picture of the stash I got rid of and all of them sold at the yard sale this past weekend... who wouldn't buy a BBW candle for $1?  Ugh... so much waste.

Anyways, I now have just a handful (8) 3-wick candles left to burn and then I am going to see what I want to do.  While I love burning candles, there may be a more household appropriate option out there.  

Empties Update...
Sephora Collection Instant Moisturizer and Age Defy Night Moisture Cream

*Just a note that these products are no longer available as is and have been reformulated.  I can't say that the formula is the same on the new ones so this review is only for the creams in the jars shown above*

Pros:
Cost ($29 Cdn for 1.69 oz of the Instant Moisturizer & $42 Cdn for 1.69 oz of the night)
Instant Moisturizer is a great weight for a day cream
Easily available at Sephora stores and online (assuming the formula hasn't changed)

Cons:
Possible formula change and no longer available on Sephora in these jars
Instant Moisturizer does not contain an SPF
Night Cream is a little light weight for aging skin
The Sephora line is not cruelty free

Overall:
While I found that both pots of moisturizer lasted a long time, making the money well spent, each of the products seemed to be missing a little something for me.

The Instant Moisturizer, which I used as my everyday cream, doesn't contain a sunscreen which I did not appreciate.  Even though I know that I can add the extra step of putting on an actual face sunscreen, I am lazy and prefer to have it in my face cream and makeup so I don't have to worry about it.

The Age Defy Night Cream was my everyday night cream and I just found that it was a little slippery and didn't sink into my skin the way that I would want a night cream to do.  Having the aging skin that I do, that is extremely important to me so I was disappointed by this.

If you have younger skin and don't mind the extra step of adding an SPF, these might work great for you.  However, for me, both weren't great and because they aren't CF, I will not repurchase.

I'm still mildly shocked that I finished these at the same time... that never happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment