Pages

Friday, June 3, 2016

Declutter: Part 1 - Nail Polish

According to my unofficially, likely not fully updated, nail polish collection spreadsheet (yes, I am a dork), I have over 850 nail polishes.  EIGHT HUNDRED AND FIFTY nail polishes!!!  What the actually hell?  How does this even happen?  The sad thing, there are likely more than that because I kind of stopped updating the sheet and, I have also done so many declutter in the past that the true number of nail polishes I have owned is in the 1,000's... OY, it makes my stomach hurt.

The Plan:


  1. Organize Polish by Colour:  My collection is sorted by brand because my OCD brain doesn't like different bottle shapes together so by sorting by colour, it makes it so much easier to see dupes (colours that are the same) or similar enough polishes to eliminate.
  2. Cruelty Free Check:  I have a list of companies that are NOT cruelty free and based on that, I will comb through an take all those polishes out of my collection.  Makeup will be a different story but for nail polish, it's ditch time.  I will never use an entire bottle up so I might as well go full hog!  I will leave a list of the companies that are NOT cruelty free at the bottom of this post.
  3. Wear Test:  Have I worn it in the last year?  If not, these are suspect and can likely be removed.  This is the hardest part of the declutter for me because if I haven't worn it, I might LOVE it but it's been a YEAR!  Some of the bottles in my collection have been there for years and I have never worn them... chances are it is because I have others in my collection that are the same or a better formula.  
Okay, it's been hours... literally HOURS since I started this post and I am done.  Man, what a journey.  I have learned many things from this declutter....  the first being that I have a thing for blue, green and purple nail polish.  There were so many that just those piles alone overwhelmed me.  Second is, I am 100% over chunky glitter... done, finished... When I first started collecting nail polish that was me... glitter all the things.  Now, I love a good creme polish or a sparkly holographic/shimmer.  The third thing is that NO ONE needs this many nail polishes.  


After a gigantic declutter, my collection now stands at 303 polishes.  I was able to get rid of over 500 nail polishes in one shot.  FIVE HUNDRED.  My new collection now fits of just 4 of the 5 nail racks that I have on my walls and I am also able to eliminate all of the foam racks I had made and the two acrylic table racks that I purchased.  There is a whole new space in my room for other things to be spread out and displayed.  It feels AMAZING and so freeing!

Now I just have to figure out what to do with all the unneeded nail polishes... Hmmm!

UPDATE:  Hubby took the polishes to work and here is what's left (out of all the ones pictured above)...



NON-Cruelty Free Polish Brands:
OPI
Essie
Revlon
Maybelline
Cover Girl
L'Oreal
YSL
Clarins
MAC
Avon
Clinique
Dior
Estee Lauder
Lancome
Mary Kay
Max Factor
Rimmel
Sinful Colors
Sephora Formula X


3 comments:

  1. While I am sad to see you go, I completely understand your choice. I have recently found minimalism and have gone from 450 polishes to 175!
    I have a question for you. Did you get rid of your favorite polish?! Opi Teenage Dream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard but I just bit the bullet. I know that there is a dead-on dupe in the Milani range so if the urge ever comes up to wear it, I can always grab a bottle of the Pink Flare. However, I have lots of similar polishes in my collection!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad I decided to check out your blog :). I'm super happy to follow you on this new journey. It's freeing when you take a step back from all this social media and pressure just comes off! Keep it up :D

    ReplyDelete