Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Recipe | Black Bean & Salsa Chicken

Somedays, you get home from work and all you want is a nice warm dinner... especially in the fall weather.  This last week has been very rainy and cold and with the weight loss, I seem to be feeling the temperature change more than years past.  I know that makes sense but it's still crazy to go from never needed a jacket (even in the winter) to feeling like you're freezing in the early fall.

This week, I made a dish that I learned from my mom a couple of winters ago when we were in the middle of an ice storm and had no power... does anyone else remember moments like that?  We went to my parents house because our house was dark and cold and they, even though only 3km from our house, had power.  The dish is Black Bean & Salsa Chicken.



Ingredients:

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (I use 4)
1 - 650ml jar of Salsa (we use milk but you can pick your temperature)
1 large can of Black Beans
1 cup of Frozen Corn
6 servings of Rice (we use white rice because that's just what we have on hand)

Directions:

  1. In a deep pan, brown chicken breasts.  I use a splash of olive oil to coat the pan but you can use whatever you prefer... just makes it easier to flip the chicken around
  2. Once the chicken has been browned to your liking (I am always cooking it through because chicken freaks me out), add in the salsa, drained black beans and corn
  3. Simmer over low heat for 30 mins minimum (I have done up to 2 hours and the longer you simmer, the more tender the chicken)
  4. Prepare and cook rice as directed on package
  5. Serve it up!!
One serving (1/2 cup rice, 1 chicken breast and the salsa/black beans/corn) is just shy of 500 calories.  Super tasty and very filling!!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment